Several of these families continue to farm in Corrales today.At the end of the 19th century Alejandro Sandoval moved to the village and bought large tracts of land.
Free sex web cam with no credit card - Dating sites for farmers ranchers
Major floods were recorded in 1864, 1868, 18, and as a result there remain only remnants of buildings over 150 years old in Corrales.
Buildings were often sited in family cluster, on higher ground, against the ditch or road or beyond the limits of the irrigable land.
Lower Corrales was “a settlement of ranchos” with 26 families and 160 persons living in a farming community on the floodplain of the river.
Upper Corrales, site of the present center of the village, is described as opposite the mission of Sandia, and part of its district is on “not very good lands.” This section was much smaller then Lower Corrales, with only 10 families totaling 42 people.
These residents of the valley were the first agriculturalists, eating corn, beans and squash supplemented with wild game.
The pueblo occupation had ended and their pueblos abandoned by the late 1600s when the Spanish settled permanently in New Mexico.
In 1923-24, the grassy mesa west of the village (some 55,000 acres), which had been held over 200 years as common grazing land, was purchased by Robert Thompson, a cattle rancher.
Also during this time, a rising water table, due to the aggradation of the Rio Grande, had significantly decreased the amount of formerly productive farmland, and caused intermittent flooding.
Corrales, the Spanish word for corrals, was home to the Tiguex Indians for centuries before Spanish explorers laid claim to the region around 1540.
Two pueblo ruins, unexcavated, are known to exist in the village, and many pithouses and artifacts have been discovered in villagers’ backyards.
By 1900 Corrales was known for its vineyards and the making of wine, much of it by French and Italian families.